The Antelope in the Living Room

Author:  Melanie Shankle
Her Blog:  http://thebigmamablog.com/
Pages:  224
Buy it Here:  The Antelope in the Living Room

I read her first book "Sparkly Green Earrings" last year and loved it.  I couldn't wait for this book to come out.  Started reading the book last night and finished it this morning.  Laughed out loud many times (not the lol like we post in texts where we're not really lol, but a true lol that is actually out loud).  So much so that Julia asked "Mommy, what's so funny?"

Jeremy responded that he always got scared when I read books about marriage like this one.  I didn't clarify exactly why he felt this way, but thinking that he probably felt like I'd experiment with our relationship with things like "Hey, according to this book, I have unrelenting standards and you have realistic standards so we need to try this new thing out every day to make our marriage better." (and yes, that truly happened in our first year of marriage - wasn't pretty.  That book I read nearly killed our marriage before it had a chance to really begin.)

Then I read him several excerpts from the book and had him laughing quite hard too.  I reassured him that this was a safe marriage book and that it was simply funny.  He seemed to relax quite a bit.

I love that way that Melanie writes.  She doesn't assume perfection and doesn't give advice as to how to make your marriage better.  She simply talks about life as it truly is in her world and since it's about a marriage of two imperfect people, I could completely relate.

Highly, highly, highly recommend this book.  Light, easy reading.  Sentimental at times, but mostly funny and relatable.

Comments

Popular Posts