Ups and Downs

It's such a weird mix of positive and anxiousness these days.  I know I'm not teaching the way I want to or the way I'm comfortable teaching.  And it's hard to do it well when you can see the kids' faces - it's clear these middle schoolers are tired of sitting at a computer and listening and learning without the typical interaction or growth in their musical skills.  I'm trying to make it relevant and engaging, but I feel like I'm failing forward.  Finding a few things that work well and also feeling like I'm getting nowhere.  Trying to focus on what IS working and that's helping a lot.

In fact, here are a few things I'm doing that are working during this pandemic:

1.  Running every day
I schedule in my time to get outside and run.  No matter how I feel because if I based it on that I'd prefer to stay in my pjs every day with a teaching top over my pj top during class times.  Instead I know that no matter how I feel that by physically moving my body I am doing something that will positively affect my mood, my interaction with the girls, and my mental thinking.  It clears my head.

Plus Peloton is doing a 90 day free trial for their app.  Just started using it three days ago.  Holy cow - this is perfect for me!  I am absolutely loving it and finding new motivation to push myself even more than I already do.  I feel very empowered and confident and proud after completing each workout.  Plus it's just so much fun.

2.  Baking/Cooking every day
At the start of the year I made a goal to cook something every Saturday from the Magnolia Table cookbook by Joanna Gaines.  I didn't know a second one was about to be released in early April so it's even better now that the new cookbook arrived three days ago.  Double the amount of recipes to try!!  I've never felt like I was good at cooking anything.  Baking - yes.  But trying new recipes and forcing myself to put effort into new meals for our family has allowed me to see that I can actually bake AND cook.  It's been so nice to focus on measuring ingredients and making something out of all the pieces.  Reminds me of crocheting - you start with balls of yarn and once they've been woven right you end up with a beautiful piece.  Same with cooking.  It's relaxing with no pressure.  Or mostly no pressure - I do want our family to enjoy it!

Yesterday I made chocolate shuffles and today I made chocolate chip banana bread.  Delicious!!

3.  Making Lesson plans... and then simplifying them
I thought I was creating simplified lesson plans the first week we began online school.  And then the Zoom class meetings began and I could see quickly how little information students would be able to comprehend if I went really broad with the information.  So I've simplified and simplified some more.  It means doing more repetition of a concept and trying to have students do it in as many ways as I can:  writing, reading, speaking, listening, creating.  All the things we do in class, but doing it virtually in live lessons and through technology tools.  It's been a huge stretch for me to redesign and I still don't have it.  But I'm realizing that I need to continue to simplify and let it be enough.  For this upcoming rotation schedule I'm creating 12 video lessons, 13 zoom meetings, and creating all of the assignments and materials for those things in addition to meeting with students when they need help and grading the work... and while trying to keep the girls on target with their assignments and maintain peace in our home too.  Which brings me to #4.

4.  Keeping the peace
There are very few things that are of so much importance that I need to get upset at our girls about.  Do I want them to listen respectfully to their teachers and not be playing Minecraft on another device during class?  Yes!  Do I want them to ask for help when needed?  Yes!  Do I want them to treat each other kindly?  Yes!  Do I want them to come out of this time overstressed because they are sitting at their desks for more Zoom meetings than I am?  No.  Do I want them to remain inside all day long staring at a computer?  No.  Finding the balance for them and helping them through their hard days and sadness/frustration/loneliness and all the good days too is more important than anything else going on.  And a lot of how they react is directly attributed to how I treat them and talk to them and what is expected of them from me.  I've been putting their laundry away for them so that they can focus on their work.  Yes, I've got loads of work too, but when I see them on the verge of breaking down from the sadness of online school and I know I have the emotional capacity within me to help them I do that thing that would just be the tipping point.

5.  Trusting God
My faith in Jesus has kept me steady.  I know that no matter what comes of this time - we are going to be just fine.  We are going to come out of this with a stronger family bond, with great memories of how we spent our time, and the silly things we got to laugh about and enjoy together.  Making time with God a priority has made it possible for me to be joyful even when I don't feel like.

6.  Music and Podcasts
I am feeding my mind constantly with positive and encouraging talks.  From people I value.  From leaders who don't dismiss the hard things, but who remind me that I choose my attitude.  And my outlook.  And the temperature of our house.  I've been listening to songs I love - some slow and moody; others upbeat.  We're dancing now and again; singing super loud; and just making the best of it.

7.  Finding the Good
#findthegood - this is what I'm doing each and every day.  There's always good to be found in each day.

8-My worth
Finding my value outside of my job and my identify as an educator.  Because I put so much pressure on myself to be the best teacher I can and it sometimes wears you down.  Finding my worth outside of my job has been freeing.







Comments

Popular Posts