Small things are the Wins

It's interesting what defines a great day right now.  Normally I might base it on how well I feel I did as a teacher, how far we were able to get in a specific piece, how engaged students were in each class, and how much I was able to get done in a day.  During this time of quarantine it's been a complete shift.  I can't base my day on how successful I'm being or how much I'm able to do.  With much of what makes my role efficient and amazing as a music educator taken away, I've been judging my days differently.  And I'm liking that.

The smallest things and the smallest wins have been the greatest things at our house.  I am choosing peace at home over anything.  I am choosing joy at home over anything.  And that has kept us all sane and happy and enjoying time together.

At times I struggle with not achieving things or seeing much happening in my virtual classroom when I compare it to what we would have been doing if we were in our regular classroom setting.  There is nothing that compares to teaching music in a classroom environment in person.  I have yet to find anything that is a better substitute for making music with students together in person.  And I have to be okay with that right now.  There's nothing I can do about it.

Finding the small successes - an online lesson that students are engaged in, hearing that students are having fun making music using technology, and letting enough be enough are the things that keep me going.  We have a month left of school and we're finishing up week five of virtual learning.  I've learned so much and I can only hope that I can judge myself less on what I am achieving when we return back in the fall and more on the important things: peace, love, and joy.


Comments

Popular Posts