I Quit

Riley walked into the living room with a very worried look on her face.  She told me she had something really serious to tell me.  She then said "Julia is quitting Good Shepherd." (the name of her school)  She was really worried about Julia quitting so I told her I'd go talk to Julia and that she didn't need to worry as school is the law and Julia doesn't have a choice.

I went into Julia's room and sat on her bed.  Julia sat next to me and said "Mom, I have something to tell you and I think it might make you mad.... I'm quitting school."

I said "Oh I see"... in as serious a voice as I could.  I continued with things such as "Well, that will be so sad for you to go to another school without Riley and I.  We'll miss you every morning and seeing you at school.  I hope you'll like it there."

Julia then started talking about preschool.  "I just really miss daycare.  I loved it there.  I loved splash day!!  We don't do splash day at Good Shepherd.  The uniforms were more comfy."

As she was talking, I was distracting her with questions and listening to her.  Little did she realize that I was actually getting her dressed for school.  And she was completely ready by the time our conversation ended.

When she was no longer distracted, she looked down at her fully-uniformed self and then began crying and pulling at her shirt.  She had no idea that she was now ready for school.  I was able to pick her up and get her going to the car where all was as best as it could be.

I explained that once she leaves preschool, she can't go back as she's too old.  We then talked about Kindergarten and the fun things she'll get to learn and do with her teacher and new friends.  I should have typed this up earlier as there was so much more to this conversation that I know I'm forgetting...

I'm happy to report that she's decided to continue to go to Good Shepherd.  :)




Comments

Popular Posts