COVID-19 Day 10

Last night as we went to bed Julia asked if we could read blog posts.  We enjoy reading the posts every now and again from years past.  When she saw that the last blog post was called COVID-19 Day 5, she asked me how many days it had been?  Then asked, "Has it been 19 days?"  Because yes, it feels like we've been in our home for 19 days.  But no, as of today it has only been 10 days.  Only 10.  And honestly?  I'm still enjoying it.

I know that I feel anxious a lot when I'm juggling work and home on regular days, but I really notice how much I've been feeling it when my schedule is completely void of all the expectations that are normally held (or created by myself) for me.  These past 10 days have been full of ups and downs, but mostly ups.  As I've told the girls, if there's anyone I'd ever want to be stuck with in a pandemic, it's them.  They're both fun to be around, keep positive attitudes for the most part, and are always up for doing fun things.

We're completely off any schedule we ever used to have.  Bed times are now whenever you feel like going to bed - sometime between 10pm and 1pm.  Sure!  Why not?  Waking up at 9:30am or even noon?  Sure!  Why not?!  If the girls were younger, I'd be more concerned about maintaining a schedule because when they were little they thrived off predictability and consistency.  The same is true now, but not.  They have both been able to sleep more than usual and eat better/healthier as a result of having whatever they want at their disposal for lunch times.  We've reestablished consistent piano lessons and practice days.  We had gotten off of that because our days and nights had become over scheduled.  It feels great to be able to be home and get back at it.  Especially because they're such beautiful piano players.

Today we all slept in.  Jeremy and I took time to prepare some things for Julia's birthday on Monday. It's her first double digit birthday and while it won't look anything like what we had planned, it's going to be unique and special.  Can't wait!  It's going to have the theme of 'Quarantine COVID-19 Birthday Party.'  This will include some quarantine surprise items, wrapping her room in cellophane, and wearing face masks.

I wasn't sure where to purchase face masks and even if I did, I wouldn't have bought them because I don't want to take away from those who need them for their work.  A friend posted a video link of how to make face masks out of cotton fabric and elastic.  We have those in the room upstairs so the girls and I spent about an hour and a half making 5 face masks - one for each of us plus one for Val.  Val was having nothing to do with the face mask so we've given up on his and will just have an extra one.  The girls spent the entire time frustrated at each other.  They've gotten along so well, but this morning Julia was in a particularly foul mood.  She was bothered about something and sad and took it out on everything else around her.  I get it.  It hasn't been easy for either of them and these are weird times.  They wanted their face masks to fit perfectly and either the elastic was too long or too short or it didn't feel right.  We finally got it to where they would wear them and realize it's just for pictures and for fun to go with the theme of the birthday.  Hoping we won't actually need to use them in the future, but if we do, then we have them.

I started my third puzzle.  The first two were 1000 pieces and this one is a 2000 piece.  Don't think I've ever down a 2000 piece puzzle so this will be something new!

Tomorrow we will have online church service, a Zoom meeting with the fifth grade team, and I'm hoping to do more reading and begin prepping my first video for my classes when we all start school on Wednesday.  I'm excited to be stretched in this new way of teaching online, but I'm also nervous.  I had grandiose plans for what I wanted to do and realized that starting small and simple is best.  I can expand on what I teach, but I need to set expectations and procedures just like I would do at the start of the school year.  It's easy to compare what I think I should be doing when I look at what other music educators are posting.  Let it go...

Our family time together has been my favorite.  I am so grateful for our little family.

Comments

Popular Posts