Split Chins and Cysts

Since I'm forever behind in sharing life events, I'm going back a bit to September.

1) Split Chins
Julia was walking on her way to gym class at school and when they were asked to turn around and head the other way she somehow tripped over something (possibly her friend's large boot since she'd fractured it) and then face planted into the sidewalk with her chin.  The PE coach said he could actually hear her chin hit the sidewalk.  She ended up with a less than 1" scar on the bottom, but it wouldn't seal right.  Thankfully my schedule was open enough that I could take her to the ER to get it fixed.

We spent time at the ER where she was glued and taped and on our way.  Julia was a total trooper and didn't cry until we got home.  When it really hit her that she wouldn't be able to play her soccer game this weekend or go to soccer practice.

Even though the game was at 8am on Saturday, she woke up early and chose to go to the soccer game to cheer on her classmates.  She said that it would be helpful to watch because she'd be able to see where they needed help and figure out what she could do to help and what position she should play when she got the okay to play again.

She just finished her soccer season and is a great mid-field or defense player.  Naturally stays back and observes where the ball is moving.

2) Cysts
I won't go into much gory detail, but my back right shoulder was in some constant pain for a few weeks.  I knew there was a bump on it and that it was growing, but I didn't want to take care of it because I thought it'd go away on its own.  It didn't.

I found a dermatologist office nearby and had a great experience with them.  They said it was a cyst and needed draining and then the sac would be removed later and a few stitches put in.  I felt like it'd be no big deal at all, but it was more of a nuisance than I thought.  It was drained (took four long needles poked and prodded under the cyst to numb it) and when I returned for a check up it wasn't shrunk the way it needed to be.  They gave me several steroid shots to allow it to go down and it worked.  Then they did the surgery to remove the sac.

The surgery was minor, but they ended up taking out a lot more than expected.  Multiple stitches were put in subdermally and then several on the top layer.  I was bummed because I couldn't work out or run and I'd just spent the summer building up my mileage to a few miles at a great pace for me.  They said I could run after a few days, but I waited over a week because it was so sore.  After going for a run, my back hurt and I realized I had popped the top outer stitch out.  It wasn't healing correctly, but thankfully over time it has now healed.  The dr. said it would be a little wider scar which was fine by me.  I'm not that vain over a place hardly anyone will see.  I'm glad to have it healed now and a little sadder to now have the surgery bills, but glad it's done.

Comments

Popular Posts