Chicken is Chicken

Happy New Year and welcome to mid-February.  Apparently I haven't kept up.  At least not here.

Each Saturday I've been cooking a meal from the Magnolia Table Cookbook.  Julia often helps and it's been a fun way to make new foods together.  So far every meal has been beyond amazing.  Everything has turned out delicious and we are loving all the things.

Jeremy made a comment that he would likely become fat if we kept eating like this (meaning all the butter, cream, and sweets) so Julia pulled out her cookbook from Christmas and chose a chicken dish for us to make this past weekend.  Her cookbook is Basics to Brilliance Kids.  It meant we needed to buy some chicken thighs and legs with bone-in.

Julia and I were mixing the olive oil, herbs, and chicken in a large bowl.  She saw that there was a little blood on one of the pieces and mentioned it to me.  I said that it's normal to see blood because chickens have veins like we do.  She looked confused so I went on to explain that the animals are like us in that way.  Her eyes grew SO huge and she said, "What???!!!!"

Turns out that she hadn't put it together that we were eating the animal.  That food 'chicken' was made from animal 'chicken.'  She stopped helping put together the meal and only helped with the remainder of the dessert when it was time to add chocolate chips.  I tried to make it better, but the more I shared the worse it got.  At one point I even thought it'd make things funny if I named the chicken George, but then Julia started to cry.  She kept saying 'How can we be so cruel to chickens?'  There were many, many tears and lots of hugs.

We talked with her about the circle of life and somewhat about how animals eat other animals eat other animals and then we eat them.

She didn't want to eat the chicken at dinner, but I had already given her the best meat and she truly has always loved the taste of it.  I was quite amazed that she actually ate the chicken at dinner and had no problem eating it the past two nights.


Comments

Popular Posts