Watching Baby Heidi with Julia

A few days ago our sweet next door neighbor texted me to see if it'd be possible for us to watch their 4 month old daughter Heidi.  She's such a doll!  Of course I said yes and was so glad we had the night open to be able to help.  I asked Julia if she wanted to do it with me because I knew she'd love it.

We arrived at 6:30pm.  They shared her schedule for the remainder of the night.  It appeared fairly simple.  Heidi had already been changed, eaten, and was ready for bed.  She was going to go down within the next 30 minutes, would likely cry for a little while, but then would soothe herself to sleep.

Julia and I talked with Heidi, read the books Goodnight Moon and The Little Fur Bear.  These were books we loved reading to the girls when they were little so Julia packed them in a backpack to bring over to read to Heidi.  She loved touching the soft bear belly on the cover of the second book, but wasn't so interested in listening to the books.  It was obvious to her that her mom and dad were gone and she kept looking at us unsure about it all.  She began crying and had the cutest pouty look I've ever seen.  We followed what we were told to do and put her to bed after singing to her and reading.  Julia was adorable with her!  Sang to her with me (we sang Mary had a Little Lamb and Hush Little Baby).  Heidi held onto Julia's finger while we sat.  Julia was so patient with her.  We set her down on her back to sleep and walked out.  She cried so much - kicking and sucking her fist.  We put on the movie Noelle on Disney+.  Cute movie by the way.  Definitely recommend it.

We waited for ten minutes like they had said to do and since she wasn't going down we got her out.  We walked around with her because she didn't want to sit down.  This happened several times as she just couldn't get to sleep.  Took her until almost 9pm to fall asleep and Laura and Ian got home around 9:30pm.  I was thankful we'd been able to help her fall asleep and that she finally rested before they got home.  I remember how nice it was to return home to a sleeping baby after a night out.

As we walked outside to walk home Julia turned to me and said, "That was awesome!"  She loved spending time with Heidi and was a natural with her.  So patient and sweet.  I loved watching her with Heidi and enjoyed spending sweet time with my girl.

Comments

Popular Posts