How a three year old shops

I consider myself a great shopper.  After all, I love to shop.  I love to buy.  And I especially love sales.  I'm trying my best to instill in Riley (and Julia) how to be a smart and savvy shopper.  And how not to purchase everything you see even if it may be appealing.

First we made our way to The Gap for their big sale.  Riley was pushing her baby in her stroller while I pushed Julia in mine.  Somehow every time I turned around to look at something, Riley was hanging something that she liked on my stroller.  So I found a skirt, sweater, cardigan, another skirt, and another shirt hanging as we went through her section of the store.  I put them back as we went along and explained that we weren't going to buy everything we see.  I told her we were looking for a good sale on something that she needed, something that she had outgrown and needed to be replaced or something that would work for Jules.  Her reaction was "But Mom - they all have tags on them!!"  She thought that a tag meant it was a good sale.  So I explained that just because it has a tag doesn't mean it's a good deal.  And we found three shirts on sale for $4 each and went on our way.

Then we went to the shoe store downstairs.  Here are things I observed today as we went shoe shopping at Clark's that she must be picking up so far:

Rule #1.  Be friendly to the retail workers.

Retail Worker:  Hello!  Welcome to Clark's.

Riley (entering store): Hi.  My name is Riley.  I am three and a half years old.  Do you like my stroller?  And my doll?  And this is my sister Jules.....

Retail Worker:  Why, yes I do.  (turns to me)  We have half off almost every childs' shoe and an extra 25% off the second pair.  And since you have the coupon, you will get an extra 20% off the first pair.  (turns to Riley)  What colors do you like?

Riley:  Pink and blue.

And off the retail worker goes to get a few boxes of shoes.  Or so I thought.  So I'm glad to see that she's picked up the friendly part.  And I'm very excited about the price of their shoes as I absolutely love them anyway.

Rule #2.  Don't purchase anything unless you absolutely love it.

Riley:  Do I get to try on the shoes?  I love shoes!  I love shoes!  I love shoes!  Ooooh - these are sooo cute!  And these are sooo cute!

Retail worker (returning with over 10 boxes of shoes):  These are the shoes we have in stock in her size.

Riley:  Can I try them on?

Retail worker:  Sure!  I'll just set these out so you can see them.

Riley looks at them for a minute.

Riley:  (points to a pair)  Not those.  (points to another pair)  Nope.  (another pair)  No.  (points to yet another pair)  YES!  I LOVE those!  Can I try those on?

Yes, she's very opinionated.  And has already come to figure out what she likes and doesn't like.  And I've learned that if she says she won't wear them, she won't wear them. 

Rule #3:  Try it on before buying.

Riley put the pair on and then put her hands at her sides with her fingers pointing out.  Then moved her shoulders side to side as she walked in the shoes one step at a time.  They were definitely a winner.

Rule #4: Say thank you to the retail worker.

Riley:  Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!  This is the best day ever.  I love the shoe store!  I love it.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts