Summer 2016

We've had a fabulous summer so far.  A great mix of staying home and sleeping in as well as some travel and camps.  Riley thoroughly enjoyed going to Girl Scout Camp with her friend Charlie Grace.  She has asked us if she can join Girl Scouts this year.  Sounds like something she'd really love.  Riley did a few camps at GSES as well.  Julia spent time at a few GSES camps but truly loves just being home to play barbies, dolls and games.  I had a 3-day drum workshop with Jim Solomon, week long Orff Master Class, traveled to St. Pete's, FL for a week for Responsive Classroom training and taught two summer crochet/knit camps at GSES.  Jeremy has gone to work.  (I have plans for next year to make sure he gets a break of some sort and takes time off for himself....)

The girls and I just returned a few days ago from a four day 'Grandma Camp' adventure at Lost Pines Resort outside of Austin, TX.  A friend of mine described it as a magical place and I agree.  We had a wonderful time.  One of the highlights was working with Julia to help her learn to ride a bike without training wheels.  She was excited to try!  The resort offers free bikes of all sizes that you can take all throughout the day and ride.  On one of the times we were working together to help her ride, she went a ways by herself down the path.  Afterwards, she said "You know that time that I went by myself for a long time?  That was off the hook!  It was!"  Cracks me up that she said 'off the hook.'

Most of our time was spent in the lazy river.  We played tag.  Grandma and Riley would hide or swim somewhere along the river while Julia and I would try to find them.  Or vice versa.  Lazy river is a terrible name for it.  It was more like energetic river.  It was a great workout and wore us out.  We swam at least twice a day.

We also spent time watching movies after dark on the big outdoor screen and eating smores/popcorn. I had s'mores a few times.  So yummy.

Julia rode a pony on a trail ride with a guide along the Colorado River.  It was 15 minutes long and Julia said it felt like it was super short.  Riley and I rode horses through the trails for a long ride going up and down through a forested area.  It was beautiful.  Her horse's name was Will and my horse's name was Jango.  Riley rode on her horse in front of me.  Her horse kept farting throughout the ride.  It was hilarious.  We both kept laughing.  My mom and Riley played a game of Archery Tag on the last morning of our stay.  They came back beat red in the face and sweating like crazy.  My mom said it was the most exhausting hour of her life.  Completely believe her!

The rest of the summer is full of plans to enjoy our time at home, meet up with friends and prepare for school.  The girls are spending time reading, writing, doing multiplication flashcards/math workbooks and practicing piano.  Honestly, it's about an hour or so each day.  I often tell them that doing a little bit each day is more beneficial than spending hours and hours every now and again.  They give me looks that tell me they don't believe me, but consistency is key to helping them really internalize their skills.  They might thank me years from now....

Comments

Popular Posts