Covid Brain: The Struggle is Real

 Ever since having Covid in January I've had the hardest time keeping track of things.  Doing things that I would often associate with a concussion.  But I haven't hit my head on anything.  I've double booked appointments.  Told coworkers I'd cover their class only to remember that we had auditions with other students or that I'd already promised someone else that I'd help them.  I've left items in random places and forgotten they were there.  I'm struggling to remember basic words in conversations.  It's an awful feeling and embarrassing.  And sometimes it'd downright funny.

Yesterday I experienced a lot of this.  Before leaving for work I went back to the bathroom to tell Jeremy something.  Had my phone in my hand and put it on the counter.  Then walked out.  Grabbed everything and started to leave.  Jeremy runs out soaking wet with his towel wrapped around him and yells "you forgot your phone!!"  I hadn't even noticed or remembered bringing it back there.  I thanked him and left for work.

At school I cut open a box that contained a new drum for our classroom.  Then took the drum over to where I store them and returned back to open the second box.  Couldn't find my scissors anywhere.  Literally stumped as to where I'd put them.  So I went over to my desk and got out another pair and used those to finish opening the two remaining boxes.  Later in the day I see the first pair of scissors sitting on a random shelf.  Don't even remember setting them there.

I had a podcast chat with a guest yesterday and had to pause several times because I couldn't think of the word audiation.  Said auditory instead.  Not totally the same and close, but this is a concept that I don't have to think about or struggle with thinking about usually.

The funniest one occurred last night/this morning.  We are in the midst of a cold front and getting lots of ice and sleet.  As it was coming in last night I took Val for a walk and used my blue umbrella.  When I got to the door, I shook the umbrella out and set it on the porch to dry.  Thought to myself 'I'll get this later.'  Then we got wrapped up in dinner and life.

This morning everything is covered in ice and Val wouldn't go to the bathroom on his own in the backyard.  Wouldn't have anything to do with getting out in the falling sleet.  I decided to take him for a short walk just to see if he'd do anything.  I got bundled up and then headed out the door.  I look to my right and see this blue umbrella, upside down and full of snow, in the street.  Thankfully it was on the side of the street.

I walked Val over to it and then picked it up.  The umbrella was SO heavy!  It wasn't light snow, but heavy ice.  I walked the dog with one hand and carried the umbrella the best I could with the other.  Laughed the entire way home.  Then set it down next to our front porch because it'll need to stay outside until it can thaw out in a few days.  The umbrella is completely broken.  Guess that's obvious as the weight of the ice took it out.


Once I got inside I received a text from Riley.  It was a picture of me - smiling - while walking Val and carrying the umbrella.  Cracked me up that she had watched the scene unfold and decided to take a picture of it.  What else are you going to do?!





Comments

Popular Posts