2017 Goals Review

I'd sum up 2017 with one word:  productive.  This is a positive and negative thing at the same time.  It has meant that most of my goals were accomplished, but it has also meant that priorities were skewed at particular times.  This is almost always necessary when working towards large goals (like a Master's Degree) and being at the very end of that goal.  It has definitely made me consider what I'd like to work towards and focus on for 2018.  Priorities will hopefully look different this coming year after coming out of this past year.


GOALS for 2017

1.  Take a course to learn Finale
I didn't officially take a course, but instead asked Chris how to do a few things (several things) in Finale.  She showed me how to set up, add note values, and other various things.  The most helpful thing was how to save sections of a piece and insert it into another document.  Online help was great as well, but Chris really gave me the basics to get me going with it.

2.  Continue learning Spanish using a workbook, Duolingo app and lunch with friends
Spent time learning Spanish this year using the workbook and Duelingo.  It's hard for me to speak the language around someone who knows it out of fear of doing it wrong.  I can only imagine how children/teens/adults feel when they come to the States and only speak a different language other than English.  It's a process!  Hoping to continue with this and improve.

3.  Go to church
Thankful for Watermark Church.  We are loving being a part of the church and growing in our faith.

4.  Complete my SMU Graduate School Degree in December
Thankful for all the professors, friends, family, and colleagues that helped me and encouraged me through the process of obtaining my degree.  Graduated from SMU on December 16 at 10:00am with Jeremy, the girls, and my parents in attendance at the convocation.  It was very special and meaningful.  I especially loved having my parents there because they were unable to attend my undergrad ceremony as my grandpa was in hospice.  He passed away the month after I graduated from undergrad and I'm so thankful they had time with him.  It was wonderful to have them there for the ceremony this year and to celebrate all the work done over the past 3 1/2 years.  Graduating with a 4.00 GPA was a pretty fantastic feeling too.  Hard work paid off in multiple ways.

5.  Clean our upstairs room completely and begin using it as a livable area to workout, play video games and lounge
Still some boxes and random things that just don't fit anywhere else, but livable enough to workout (P90X3 - yes!), play video games (Julia can crush us all at Mario Cart), and lounge in the two chairs we purchased at the start of the year.

6.  Finish reading the entire Bible
Finished in July and have read various devotionals since.

7.  Apply to teach a workshop/session at TMEA and offer workshops in local districts/Orff chapters/GSES
Nope.  Didn't happen.

8.  Go on one date each month with Jeremy
Umm... definitely didn't happen.

9.  Limit myself to purchasing only one new unnecessary item for myself each month
This was one of the hardest and most worthwhile goals of the year.  There were several months where I didn't purchase anything at all.  This goal allowed me flexibility to still buy something at some point, but not enough to buy large amounts at one time.

10.  Find a tv show series to watch
Found several - and actually watched full seasons of them.  And even enjoyed it!
My favorites:  The Crown, Parenthood, Scandal

11.  Family Fridays
Never happened.

12.  Complete the Google Teacher Certified Educator Level One
Completed both Level One and Level Two certifications.  Love Google!

13.  Do all I can to locate, contact and engage with my brother Jim
This was truly a hard one.  It's very challenging to truly know the next step.  I was advised not to walk into the tent cities of Savannah to look for him as it is not safe.  I think of him every time I see a homeless person and pray that someone near him has mercy on him the way that we have mercy on those around us.  I pray that he comes home and that he is healed from his addiction.

Comments

Popular Posts