Running Options in Texas

I enjoy running.  It boosts my mood, makes me feel strong, and gives me energy.  I just like the way I feel during and after each run - even if the run is hard or I don't feel like going.  It's always a nice way to do something by myself, to get out of the daily grind, and think differently.  I find I think about random things and that I'm more positive in my thinking after a run.

It's a challenge to run in the summer in Texas.  The heat plays a major part.  As does the fact that I adjust to sleeping in way past my usual 5:30am wake up and stay up after 10pm - compared to going to bed around 8:30pm during the school year.  Yea - I'm a party animal.

This morning I set the alarm for 6:45am to try to beat the heat, knowing that I'd be more positive and start the day off well.  It went off, I hit snooze and then grabbed my iPad to look at Facebook... because that's so full of positivity and no political talk (sarcasm).  I follow Runner's World and enjoy reading their articles.  The one that came up in feed this morning hit me directly where I am and was the sole reason I got up to run this morning:

Runner's World Article: For Depression and Anxiety, Running is a Unique Therapy

The article hit the nail on the head.  I take anti-depressants each day and they are a major factor in keeping me regulated, if you will.  It just takes the edge off a bit and I find that I handle the little and big things with less stress.  It doesn't make me a totally different person and it doesn't make life perfect - but it helps me stay consistent and more even-keeled.

When you add running as another way of coping/positivity, it compounds the effect on my thinking and my life is just that much better.

So I read the article, got up almost immediately after and headed out for a beautiful 2 mile run through our neighborhood.  I always 'warm-up' by walking my dog for almost a mile so that he can do his thing and so my muscles aren't as tight.

Here are the options I choose between during the summer months in Dallas, TX:

1) Wake up before the sun is fully up, temperature is typically low 80s, humidity around 70% or so and there's usually a slight breeze
2)  Wait until mid-day, temperature is just hot, humidity is lower and sun is at full shine.
3)  After dinner, wait until about 8pm, temperature is typically high 90s with heat index over 100, humidity around 30-something %, sun is going down so there's shade on the sidewalks and streets

I go between Options 1 and 3 - Option 2 is brutal and I find it's just not effective for me.  Simply just too much sun and too much heat.  That's the time of the day that I love to be in the pool with the girls and soaking up some sun while being lathered in sun block.

I'm hoping to strike more of a balance in bringing more running time during the school year.  It's always hard to work in a consistent running schedule while juggling the school calendar and the girls' activities.  Should be easier this year as it's the first fall I haven't had Grad School in 4 years and my first fall trimester without Grad School while working at GSES.  Will be interesting to see how that affects my 'free' time.

Comments

Popular Posts