Circus Dream

Last night before bed I was thinking of the things I needed to do in my classroom to organize, set up, clean out, etc.  Particularly trying to reorganize an entire wall of shelves to look more tidy.  I'd also been seeing posts on Facebook from friends whose classrooms are being set up, who live in OK where there are teacher battles over pay/funding at schools.  It apparently affected my dream.

My Dream Last Night:

I walked into the school (though it looked nothing like GSES) and was led by someone down this hallway into a room that had shelves and shelves of instruments from Africa and lots of ankle bells.  There weren't any of my classroom instruments, but I recognized the ones in the room because they had been used by a different music teacher.  I was confused because this wasn't my room the year before.  It was at least half the size and had a full wall of mirrors.  It also had several large windows that faced out into the hallway and was at the very back of the building away from everything else.  There was a group of teachers and a few parents in the hallway sitting down doing something.  I went out to talk to them and was outraged.  I began to talk with passion, asking where the instruments were and what had happened to my music room from last year.  I was especially angry that they had moved me to another room without telling me - I kept saying that I would have been able to handle this better if they'd only been upfront with me about switching me to this room so I could prepare.

I then looked up and saw my old music room directly in front of me.  Kevin Vaughn (Director of Facilities at GSES) came over and held open the door to my old room.  I began to angrily explain that I didn't understand why I had to move rooms and why he hadn't been honest with me about the need to move me.  He said that he'd get his guys on it and soon a bunch of them were wheeling the xylophones and stands into the new music room.  The room filled up fast and there was nowhere to walk.  I was really mad.  I began crying and went out to the teachers/parents in the hallway and said "I need to focus on the good.  I mean - I love these larger windows.  And that wall of mirrors - now the students can look at themselves and focus on their facial expressions while they play."  (this totally cracked me up when I woke up)

David Dodd pulled me and one other person aside to talk about the changes.  A circus master was in the hallway and said something about kids riding a horse.  I said something back and David says "Do you both really need to do this here?"  Then for some reason there was a circus coming to the school and in particular, a very large horse.  The circus master and another woman sat next to me at this board meeting.  David was looking down at the table as it was announced that the Board of the School had chosen to buy the horse so that students could take turns riding it - one student at a time.  There would no longer be music at the school and instead, this horse would take its place.  I asked how this could possibly benefit the students, as it was likely that some of the students would never even get to ride the horse since there wouldn't be enough time.  The Board answered that they had decided that the horse was more important than music and there was no need for music anymore.

Then I woke up... guess I'll go to school today to prepare my room and pray they haven't moved me - lol.


Comments

Popular Posts