List Making

On Friday, Julia woke up and immediately began to plan out her day.  She loves to organize and to make lists.  It is common for her to make a list of things she'd like to do for the day with check-boxes next to each item where I am to write Yes, No or Maybe

Example:

Write Yes No Maybe
_ Go to the mall
_ Play games
_ Do hair
_ Play dolls
_ Read books
_ Bake

Julia took it to the next level and told me that she was going to plan out what she and Riley needed to do for the day.  She began with Riley's To-Do List:

1. Brekfist
2. math
3. read
4. paino
5. iPad
6.lunch
7. Lauren comes
8. swim
9.iPad
10. dinner
11. tv
12. bed

Once she finished Riley's list, she started on her own.  She then explained how she switched what she was doing so that they wouldn't be doing piano at the same time and how Riley could read in her room while Julia practiced piano so that she wouldn't bother her.  She put a lot of thought into the order how things should go.

Julia told me that she would do piano while Riley read and Riley could do piano while Julia read.  She also planned for Riley to have some time to have iPad in the morning as a "nice treat since she would have been working hard."

Riley woke up and the list was shared with her.  I explained that Julia had put a lot of thought into her day.  (Without her permission or her input - BUT it was meant to include everything I was going to ask them to do that day)  Riley told me that she would only do it if I wrote it myself.  I shared that I would simply be rewriting it and that this was a really nice plan for the day.  Riley was a great sport about it and began to go through her math, reading, etc...

When I made Riley's breakfast, I also made Julia's breakfast.  I told Riley she could go on her iPad for a few minutes until her breakfast was done.  And then things went downhill - fast.  Julia began to get incredibly mad.  She got incredibly frustrated and yelled that I didn't understand.  She went back to the area behind her bed that has pillows and blankets (she calls it her comfort area).  I went back to talk to her and she shared that she was supposed to do math first and then eat breakfast.  I explained that this was still possible - as she could do her math and her breakfast would still taste great.  She wouldn't have any of it.  She told me that her day was ruined.  We talked about how when our expectations aren't met, it can be frustrating, but that as it was only 10:20am, the day had hardly begun and shouldn't be ruined - there was still so much time to make it go better.

Julia came around and the day ended up going really well.  My mom said that Julia would make a great project manager.

Comments

Popular Posts