Laughter Makes the Heart Happy

I called my mom at lunch and vented as to how the morning had gone.  All she could do was say "Sorry.  But that's really funny!!"  I was laughing too.  All the while Julia was screaming in the background and Riley desperately needed something and was crying so I had to go.  Never a dull moment.  And definitely never a moment of quiet or time alone.

I got the girls breakfast, gave them both a shower to which they freaked out when made to get out and then played hide and seek in our closet.  Though Riley was very mad that Julia kept hiding in the same place as it "wasn't fair!!!"  So change of pace - let's go downstairs!

Being the insane mom I am, I thought going to Ikea would make for a fun outing this morning.  With three children.  Didn't think it through very well.  My goal was to get a new shelf unit for Julia's room.  Our plan is to keep the 2x4 unit that it is her room and lay a 1x4 unit sideways with bins so that it can be her "dresser."  Then I'm planning to make a cover and get some cute little pillows and something on the wall to create a little reading space.  Jules loves to read so it would be fun for her.  So first we needed the Hemnes unit.  And I thought "Great!  I can get it and Jeremy can build it.  Will save us a trip."

Before going, we needed to go to the bathroom.  Riley went and as she came out, I stepped in.  Julia was crying to go in and Riley wanted the panda that she had left inside the bathroom.  But I didn't know she had left the panda until I got in the bathroom, locked the door and went in private.  Seriously the first time in ages since I have gone to the bathroom without a child saying "Yea!!!  Go Mommy!  I see?  You poo?  You pee?  I flush?"  All said while I am still sitting down.  I was very excited to be in the bathroom alone.  But then I saw the door handle moving all directions and could hear both of them yelling to get in and Riley was pulling the handle.  And I called to her and told her to get off the door handle.  She kept it up.  I told her again that she needed to leave it alone as this was how the curtain rod in her room was broken yesterday and we didn't need a repeat.

But she kept pulling.  I barely fastened my pants so I could open the door and free them from their lonely lives in the hallway.  I had warned that she would lose her panda if she didn't let go so true to my word, I placed panda on the top of the fridge.  Riley lost it and was sobbing and very mad.  I was just frustrated at this point.  And told her "You're such a brat!!!!"  So mature I was.  Just lost it.

She ran upstairs to which I yelled "Good idea!!"  Julia was on my hip.  And yet, I still decided to go to Ikea.  After apologizing to Riley for losing my temper and that I didn't use nice words, she apologized for not listening.  I told her sorry again and she asks "Do I have to say sorry again?  I already said it and I wasn't sure if you're wanting me to say it again."

All of us were then calm and so off to Ikea we went.

Got Julia in a cart and she was crying because she wanted to walk.  Well, Ikea is NOT the ideal place for her to walk and we just needed to stay on the first floor for the few items we needed.  Got two storage containers for food for the kitchen.  Passed the bedroom area only to have Madison say "Not that I'm not thankful, but I can't wait to get a new bedroom.  After a year, I'm ready to have all new things.  I want to change it all.  I like my room, but I want all new things."  Ugh...

So we get to the unit to buy and I realize "umm... I am so not strong enough to lift this thing."  So Madi gets a new cart to hold it and a worker helps load it on.  Madi pushes Julia in the small cart and is swerving and moving it all over the place.  Had to make sure she was able to do it calmer several times as there was a screaming toddler in the cart.  Ugh again.  We get to the checkout and Julia is still screaming nonstop.  The lady working there goes "Someone doesn't like Ikea!"  To which I reply "No.  Not today."

We get to the parking lot and I tell Madi that I'll need her help getting it in.  She proceeds to get in the car anyway.  And even after being asked several times, just hangs out and is totally unaware.  In the meantime, Riley is helping hold the cart with the unit on it and saying "Here Mom.  I'll help."  So I get Julia in the car - still crying - and say "Hey!  Madi - get out so you can help."  She's still totally oblivious.  Finally I put the seat down and say "Madi - out!"  So Riley climbs to her seat and I tell her "Please stand behind the cart and just hold it in place so I can lift the unit in."  I finally have her holding it, lift it a little and get it in no problem.  She walks inside without thinking about the cart having wheels and I grab it before it hits something next to us and put it in the cart corral.

Julia stops crying - so thankful!  We go to Target where Madi is trying to get me to buy her pants ("no you don't need those"), school supplies ("we don't have your list and you have a lot of what we need"  "Oohhh... I thought I got all new things??!!"  "Seriously?  You have a practically new expensive backpack, an unused large binder and tons of notebooks/supplies/crayons left that are unused.  I think you should be thankful for what you have and realize that it will work great."  "Well, I just want all new things."  and then complaining that I haven't called her friends' mom because her friend told her at the end of school that she wanted me to call to see if she could go over her friend's house to go to Jumpstreet.  So I explained - again - that if a friend wants to plan a playdate, they will call.  You don't invite yourself over to have their mom pay for a playdate at Jumpstreet because your friend said that you should call.  If they want to invite you to Jumpstreet, they make that call to invite you.  Then we got in a discussion about friends and being the right friend and how I would not invite her over to a playdate at someone else's house.

Deep breath.  So frustrated by ungratefulness and selfishness.  Deep breath.

We make it through Target with only Julia's new panties which she is super excited about. Minnie Mouse :)  We get home only to have Madi asking loads of questions and talking nonstop.  Riley is hungry and Julia is hungry.

So they have Ramen and Jules and I have leftover pizza.  Girls eat really good.  I call my mom and tell her I am truly insane.  That I am just pooped from dealing with three girls and all their needs.  She just laughs and says "I remember those days!"  And then I laugh too.  Because one day I'll look back at this day and go "I remember those days..." when talking to my girls when they have kids.

Comments

Popular Posts