Too Small

Riley told me yesterday that she doesn't have many dresses and she's bored with the ones that she has.  She said that she really wants to go shopping and that it'd be fun to get new clothes. (I never say I'm bored of my clothes, but I do know where she gets the idea that shopping for new clothes is fun!)

So a while later, I go up in her room and she is surrounded by two large mountains of clothing.  We have seven bins in her closet that have clothes from 0-3 months through 4T.  And they're all organized by size so that when I pass them down to friends and their new baby girls, I know which sizes I'm giving them.

Riley tells me that there are many clothes in there that fit and "Look Mom!"  She is wearing a 2T dress.  She says "If the neck hole and the arm holes fit, then it fits me!  If I can't get it on, it doesn't fit!"  The dress is more like a long tshirt, but yes, it does go on her.  She even wore a 2T nighttime shirt and pants to bed last night.  Short in the arms and more like capri pants, but they worked.

We had a talk about how many of these clothes don't even fit Julia and that they are in bins for a reason.  That she has plenty of clothes in her closet and dresser and that if she wants to find more dresses, she should go shopping in our closet.  The reason being that she went through her closet and chose many cruise ride dresses that she set aside in our closet for the cruise.  And they are in one section, all organized.  She sounded very excited about getting dresses out of our closet.

Took some time to fold all the clothes and get them into the bins again.  When asked how many she had gone through, she quickly said "Only three."

Riley even arranged the ones that "fit" on hangers and hung them on four knobs of her dresser.  One hanger on each knob facing right and a second hanger in front of them hanging to the left so that the tops of the hangers form an oval.

Then I told her we could get some new dresses again some day.  Riley asked "Today??!!  Or Tomorrow?"  My answer was "One day, but not for a while."

Comments

Popular Posts